This will explain how to install a Video Card, Audio Card, Ethernet (NIC), or Dial Up Adapter via PCI or ISA Slots.
1. Make sure card is compatible with your system via motherboard, memory, bus speed, hard drive, Operating System, and CPU.
2. Make sure Computer is shutdown and Unplugged from wall outlet.
3. Depending on the slot you are using PCI or ISA when you goto install line the pin coordinations up with that of the slot. Do not force it in. Carefully on each far end give proper amount of pressure while pushing down into the slot.
4. After your Device/Card is installed plug in your component for that device such as the speakers, monitor, dial up cable or ethernet cables.
5. Turn your computer back on so it finds new hardware, depending on your system it may pick up the proper device driver for it. If this does not happen try and find the driver needed through either Microsofts Updates or Cd that came with the card, or find it on a Device Driver site like http://driversguide.com/
6. If your system does not pick up the driver simply right click on My Computer go to Properties, Click Hardware Tab, Open Device Manager. Look for either a ? or ! to show that the driver was not installed. Right Click the device and goto Update Driver.
7. Follow the steps given through your hardware wizard to update/install your device drivers.
Screenshots below to show you the Hardware Tab under My Computer Properties, and Device Manager under Hardware Tab.
“Always do a complete backup of your system before uninstalling, deleting, or installing of new programs, software, or devices”.
If I have left anything out please leave a reply with the information I left out.